To make penne arrabiata for 2 people you will need:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
225g of minced beef
225g of penne pasta
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp chopped red chilli
salt & pepper
1 beef stock cube
grated cheddar cheese & parsely (fresh or dried)
- First off, turn your hob to a high heat & heat up your pan with the oil in it & boil the kettle for the pasta.
- Add your beef, garlic & chilli to the pan & cook until the beef is cooked through. (I use the lazy pre-chopped red chilli that comes in a little jar- it's a lifesaver. Never the garlic though- get a garlic press & always use fresh garlic.).
- This would be a good time to start cooking your pasta. Cook with a good pinch of salt until al dente if you want (or if you're super uncool & don't like your pasta al dente, like me, cook until totally soft).
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and simmer until it has reduced slightly- about 3 mins over a high heat, then add the stock cube & stir through until it has disappeared into the sauce. The stock cube is not particularly au fait I suppose, but I do think it is the most vital ingredient to tasty arrabiata.
- Add the tomato puree, oregano & a large pinch of pepper or two, give it a good stir & simmer for roughly another 5 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with as much cheddar as you can fit on your plate & some parsely! You could use parmesan if you want but I prefer cheddar & it's what I normally have on hand anyway- same for the parsely- you can use fresh but I never have it to hand, I do always have dried though.
Now this is my idea of PERFECT comfort food. Rich & sauce-y arrabiata with a little heat from the chillis & plenty of cheese, served with some nice cold wine. Yummm.