To make about 8 cupcakes, you will need:
4oz/113g Caster sugar
4oz/113g Self raising flour
1 tsp lemon extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (for fan, adjust accordingly for non-fan), and line your cupcake tray with liners.
2. In a large bowl, add flour & sugar. Melt butter (not too hot, heat until just melted) & add to bowl. Mix together with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk eggs & then add to flour, sugar & butter mixture. Whisk until smooth & add lemon.
4. Spoon the batter into the liners & bake for about 15-20 mins. (I check after 15 & keep them in for another 5 if they look too pale.
5. When done, turn out onto cooling rack & allow to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
(recipe adapted from The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook)
250g (or more) Powdered sugar (sifted)
25 ml Milk
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tablespoon strawberry juice (from mashed strawberries)
Toppings, to decorate (I used gold stars & pink sugar crystals)
1. Make sure butter is room temperature before you start (if it's cold, give it a very tiny blast in the microwave). Give it a little stir in a bowl to loosen it up too.
2. Add sugar a little bit at a time, stirring all the while with a wooden spoon. It should all eventually come together (if your butter was a tiny bit cold before you started it might go sandy but that's okay don't worry it'll come together once you add the milk) add the milk, lemon extract & strawberry juice & then taste to see if it is smooth. If not smooth enough, give it a good whisk.
3. I also find that most recipes don't call for enough icing sugar & it goes all melty looking so I tend to add more. If this is the case for you then add a bit more sifted sugar a little bit at a time until you get nice firm frosting.
4. Pipe onto your cupcake using a piping bag & a round tip nozzle & sprinkle with your chosen decorations!
These were so good & satisfied my craving for lemony sweetness. The strawberry was a last minute addition because I intended to use red food colouring to colour the frosting but realised halfway through that I didn't have any left! It was a happy adjustment though as the sweetness of the strawberry really enhanced the lemon & cut through some of the tartness, so I will be making them like these in the future!